Friday, January 16, 2009

Esau

Every year in January our church does a 21 day fast. We also follow the One Year Bible and have recently just read about Jacob and Esau. Barry said something the other day that is so simple and so obvious, but really hit home to me. Esau sold his birthright to Jacob for a meal. Barry has been fasting food and can relate to being truly hungry. The first day was rough, but once he made it past that he has been fine. Does he want food? Yes. Is he willing to sell what God has in store for him or wants to show him for a meal? No. Fasting or not, what am I selling away to feed my flesh? Some good quality time with God for a little extra sleep in the morning? The list could go on. I don't want to be like Esau, but if I really take a closer look at myself I can see how I have given myself what I want instead of doing something God's way. Its really neat how God works. I don't know how many times Barry and I have read that story, and we still got something new and relevant out of it. 

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." ~Hebrews 4:12

1 comment:

annieck said...

Great point, Sarah! Thanks for sharing.